Before the 4th of July my Mom and I were emailing back and forth about what to make for dessert…knowing that I am “being good” she told me about a weight watchers cake that she makes sometimes. I know, I know – believe me – when I hear the words ‘dessert’ and ‘weight watchers’ in the same sentence I am inclined to scoff and make multiple jokes about the validity of said dessert….but really – this dish was too simple and intriguing for me to pass up.
Why is it intriguing? Well…..that would be because there are 3 ingredients. That’s it. Three ingredients. And you have a cake. A cake. I felt the need to write ‘a cake’ again because I was just as shocked as you are. Also, skeptical. Very skeptical actually. But I figured, what the heck, I’ll buy the stuff and throw it together to see what it turns out like.
And it turns out like a great, refreshing, super sweet cake. Low fat. Not bad….not bad at all.
Here’s what you’ll need: angel food cake mix, blueberries, and a can of crushed pineapple…in its own juices.
And here’s what you have to do: mix the angel food cake with the crushed pineapple and all of it juice from the can. My box of angel food cake had 2 separate bags – combine both bags in the first step. Note: the flour and sugar kind of blew all over – so don’t stir too fast.
Then add in 1 cup of blueberries – throw into a greased 13×9 pan – and put into a preheated 350 degree oven – and bake for 19-25 minutes – depending on your oven. I set the timer for 20 minutes but I checked it at 19 b/c it was getting slightly browned on top, I inserted a toothpick and it came out clean so I took it out.
Allow the cake to cool – then slice into pieces and serve. This would be pretty great with a dollop of fat free whipped cream.
The bottom of the cake is kind of chewy – which isn’t unpleasant – but kind of seems strange at first. For a low calorie option and a decent dessert – I’ll take it! I was definitely pleasantly surprised with the outcome!
The top of the cake is super sticky – and for me, to cut the cake into nice pieces I had to run my sharp knife under hot water.
If you’re looking for something incredibly easy and not quite so guilty – you have to try this! Enjoy!
Angel Food Cake with Pineapple and Blueberries Weight Watcher Recipe with only 3 ingredientsCourse: Dessert, HealthyCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Incredibly easy, delicious and healthy dessert. This is a must!
1 box angel food cake
1 20 ounce can rushed pineapple in its own juices
1 cup fresh blueberries (can sub frozen!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9 baking dish (I prefer avocado or canola oil spray)
- Mix the angel food cake mix with the crushed pineapple and all of it juice from the can. My box of angel food cake had 2 separate bags – combine both bags in the first step.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into the baking pan – bake for 19 – 25 minutes or until slightly browned on top and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool – then slice into squares and serve.
- You can sub frozen blueberries for the fresh blueberries.
- The top of the cake is super sticky – and for me, to cut the cake into nice pieces I had to run my sharp knife under hot water.
- The bottom of the cake is chewy – that is normal.