So….I’m a little obsessed with almond milk. I love it because it’s super low fat and low carb, but it is really rich tasting. I’ve had it in my head for the past few weeks that I wanted to attempt to make an ice cream dish with almond milk….well – this is the attempt. This is vegan, low fat, low cholesterol, and lower carb. Basically….super healthy. I mean, compared to regular ice cream. And it’s a pretty great substitute if you are having cravings…it can be ready in 30 minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need: almond milk, bananas, unsweetened cocoa powder, truvia, vanilla extract, and salt.
Warm up a half cup of the almond milk on the stove top and add in 2 tablespoons of the cocoa powder plus the truvia packets – stir until dissolved then add in a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla.
Then add the chocolate mixture to a food processor, add in the 2 bananas and process until smooth. Add in the remaining almond milk and process again until completely mixed.
Take that mixture and toss into the ice cream maker….let that bad boy go for 25 minutes and you’ll have a nice, guilt-free treat to beat the heat. This is the ice cream maker I’ve had for 15 years. It still works. Cuisinart does not disappoint. Highly recommend.
Also, this tastes more icey than traditional ice cream….so don’t expect this to be insanely creamy – but overall it’s great substitute.
171 calories per serving….342 calories for the entire dish – not too bad!
Ok, important note: if you don’t eat it all in one sitting 🙂 for the best texture, this needs to sit out for 5-10 minutes. Or you can put into the microwave at 10 second increments.
Almond Milk Chocolate Ice CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1.5 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
2 ripe bananas
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 packets of Truvia (or other sweetener of your choice)
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla
- Heat 1/2 cup of almond milk over medium heat in a saucepan. Mix in the cocoa powder, sugar substitute, and salt and stir until dissolved – about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a food processor and blend with the 2 bananas until smooth.
- Once smooth – add in the remaining almond milk and process until combined.
- Add entire mixture to the ice cream machine – let it go for 25 minutes and eat right away.
- If eating it after freezing —- it needs to thaw out for 5-10 minutes or else it is really icey and too hard. Or you can make it go quicker and throw it into the microwave at 10 second increments.