We are in the middle of summer and the heat is blasting us. In times like this you need a refreshing, simple and light salad to accompany your meal. This is that salad! Ready in 10 minutes or less, healthy, refreshing, and delicious. And everyone knows fresh corn is the epitome of summer.
This no-cook salad is the perfect side to serve at a party, buffet or simply at lunch or dinner.
The combination of flavors work beautifully together and make the most delicious bite.
About raw corn. This is totally allowed! I promise! And if you haven’t tried it before – you are in for a pleasant surprise. The corn is so sweet and creamy, with a crunch to it. In a very good way. Any website will tell you it is ok to eat raw corn, and in fact, it is when you get the richest flavor of the corn. So….with that out of the way, here’s how to make it:
Cut the corn off the cob. There’s a trick to this! Take a larger bowl…and place and upside down bowl inside the larger bowl. Hold the corn cob vertically and carefully cut the corn off the cob — this technique allows you to catch all of the corn kernels and saves you from having to find them all over your counters (and floors!). To better see what I mean, watch the video below.
After the corn, simply cut your tomatoes into bite size pieces. Next, do the same with the mozzarella. Chiffonade (or simply cut) your basil leaves.
Once everything is cut and in your bowl, it’s time to make the simple dressing.
In a mason jar or bowl, add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shake the mason jar (or stir if in a bowl). Ta-da! Dressing is complete!
Pour the dressing over the corn salad, mix, and your salad is ready to serve!
This stays in the fridge for 2 days. You can make this beforehand and serve when ready. I would suggest dressing the salad when ready to serve, just to keep the colors vibrant.
Friends and family will love this salad. And so will you!
It’s a 10 minute side dish!
Fresh Corn, Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil SaladCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
8 ounces fresh mozzarella (or mozzarella pearls)
12 basil leaves (about 1/4 cup)
one medium or large tomato
6 ears of corn
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the kernels off the corn cobs. To do this easily, take a larger mixer bowl and place a smaller bowl, upside down, in the larger bowl. Hold the corn cob vertically and carefully slice the kernels off — they will fall into the larger bowl.
- Cut your tomatoes and mozzarella into bite size pieces and add to the corn.
- Chiffonade (or simply cut) your basil leaves and add to the bowl with your corn salad.
- Make the dressing: add the balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper to a mason jar (or small bowl) and mix. Toss the dressing with the corn salad.
- And enjoy!
- This keeps well in the fridge for 3 days. If you are planning to serve later, I suggest dressing the salad closer to the time you plan to serve. This will keep the colors of the salad vibrant (the mozzarella will absorb the balsamic).