It’s the season for pumpkin bread! Even when it’s still warm out – there’s just something about September that signals the start of a the new season of flavors and experiences.
If you are a ginger lover, this recipe is a must try. If you are not – then omit the ginger and you have a delicious, moist, tender pumpkin loaf. The secret ingredient for this recipe is the instant pudding. It creates the most flavorful and moist loaf cake.
Here’s what you need:
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin spice
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Dried ginger (crystallized is fine)
- Butterscotch instant pudding packet
- Powdered sugar (for icing)
- Water (for icing)
Add the wet ingredients to the bowl: eggs, both white and brown sugar, butter, vanilla, pumpkin puree – mix until sugar is mixed well with the other ingredients – about 1-2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, spice. Mix until just incorporated.
Add in the finely diced dried ginger and mix until incorporated.
Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. I used a 9″x5″ pan.
Place into a 350 degree F preheated oven and cook for 35-55 minutes (depending on your oven).
Remove from the oven after a toothpick inserted into the center is clean.
While that is cooling – make the simple glaze.
Take 1 cup powdered sugar and gradually add water to the sugar and spice mixture until you get the right consistency.
Pour over your cooled pumpkin loaf – slice and serve!
Pumpkin and Ginger Bread with Pumpkin Spice GlazeCourse: BreadCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs – room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup Powdered sugar (for icing)
1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup water (for icing)
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice seasoning
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9″x5″ loaf pan.
- Chop the crystallized ginger into small pieces – use a large chef’s knife.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, pudding mix, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice.
- Prepare the wet ingredients: In a mixer, beat the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Mix for about 3 minutes.
- Add the room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next.
- Stir in the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
- Add in the ginger and mix until incorporated.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed and toothpick comes out clean from the center – 35-55 minutes.
- Mix together the powdered sugar with pumpkin spice – slowly add in water until it get to the correct consistency.
- Pour over your cooled ginger pumpkin loaf and slice to serve!